Sunday 13 October 2013

I'm done with GTA Online and here's why.

GTAV is an incredible masterpiece! It's vibrant, rich in entertainment and above all; carries a unique atmosphere which no other game can reproduce. However, I cannot say the same for the sister game; GTA Online.

Yes, technically the Online aspect is apart of GTAV but in it's own right it can be considered it's own game; a horribly broken game I might add.

Let's start with the bad sport/good sport system. This was implemented in my opinion to control griefing and to curb the destruction of personally bought vehicles. On paper the system is perfect, however when implemented it's a disaster and a threat to the very foundation that made GTA an enjoyable game for any and all.

We'll start by using my example of how I got listed as a "bad sport". I do not go around destroying other players randomly, and yet I do actively hunt bounties down with whatever I can get my hands on; that's apart of the game and it's a system that in my opinion spices things up in the otherwise dull freeroam environment. However, if I decide to drive up next to the wanted player, throw a sticky bomb at their car and detonate it; the game flags me for destroying a personal car and therefore, I get labeled as a bad sport.

Doesn't that seem kinda odd to you? I mean, I rightly claimed the bounty and I used the weapons at my disposal to eliminate him; you could say that I could have just shot him instead of destroying his car, but isn't that far from the point? I should be able to use whatever I have to complete a task that is legitimately apart of the game and not be called out by some automated system that tells me that destroying personal property is bad.

That's another thing I have an issue with; this whole premiss that destroying personal cars is bad. Sure, you put good money into those cars and they can be a luxury item for players, however, when that player take that car out for a joyride, shouldn't they accept the risk that someone, somewhere will walk up and damage or destroy that vehicle with or without provocation? I mean, considering this is a game that takes criminality and general sin to the max, you can expect that behaviour to occur when 16 players a thrown into a freeroam environment to do whatever they please.

One argument that goes against what I'm saying is the fact that there are other game modes for that kind of stuff (deathmatch, GTA races, etc). Here's the thing though, many players will probably not want to do races or death matches, because those players prefer the more open environment. You can't just ignore those players as they make up the majority.

So, how do you fix this? Remove it entirely. There is no compromise to be made here. Quite honestly, it's a system that doesn't belong in the series at all. Players must be aware of the risks associated with using their cars in a freeroam environment and those who destroy them should not be labeled as bad sports and griefers; as labeling them as such for doing an activity that is promoted by the GTA series in the first place just seems ridiculous. 

I can only hope by the amount of hate mail and support messages (not to mention the ridiculous amount of 4chan tainted trolling and idle threats made by script kiddies), this topic will force Rockstar to respond to the situation. However, until then, I strongly urge you to stop playing GTA Online. I will still play offline as that is not flawed in anyway and doesn't deserve to be shunned; however I will focus my online activity to other games.

As for Rockstar, I am disappointed in the conduct that they have taken apart off with this bad sport system. If it were implemented correctly, then it would have been perfect; but it wasn't and players are  being subjected to unnecessary punishment for something that made GTA what it was; an uncontrollable, criminally simulated rampage for a mature audience to enjoy and fall in love with. In all honesty, the message that they are sending is making me think that GTA Online is appealing to the wrong audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment